Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Wonder of Skype


The Wonder of Skype

The wonder of Skype, a video/voice software program that allows users to make FREE calls over the internet.  The developers were Ahti Heinla, Priit Kasesalu and Jaan Tallinn, who also developed Kazaa.  Skype enables users to view while conversing with each other.

I first discovered Skype years ago while trying to keep long distance calls to a minimum.  The thought of making free calls over the internet intrigued me.  However, I had no one to call.  Most of my friends were not savvy internet users and chose instead to use the cell phones
 
I have since been re-introduced to Skype when my daughter’s boyfriend, who moved to the Granada to attend college.  The cost of overseas calls would be astronomical.  Now I “visit” with my friends and family for “FREE” on video.  Imagine having a conversation face-to-face (video cam to video cam) with your loved ones.  I have been able to make calls from Pennsylvania to my daughter in Florida and to my nieces in Kentucky and Hawaii.  Skype has grown in it’s features adding games, video conferencing and the ability to send pictures and files.  I have not fully explored what Skype can and cannot do but everyday I am learning more of what it has to offer.

One of the features I have discovered is the ability of “sharing” your screen.  I was able to guide my niece through the steps of starting her own Blog on blogger.com. The resolution was so good that I kept trying to use my mouse to click on her page.  I just could not understand why she could not see my finger pointing at where she was to go. 

I hear that Skype will be available on phones soon.  That is probably when I will get my android phone.  Until then I will skype away on my computer.

download Skype

No comments:

Backlinks